If a few years ago simply having a good product was a sufficient condition for entering the market and achieving a certain level of success, while now, especially in highly competitive markets, demands for a product are far greater. You need to focus on understanding the needs of the user and the market, as well as finding in-depth insights rather than quick answers. Let’s take a closer look at how design and marketing combine in the process of creating a product.
Design is, first and foremost, about first and last values. It can make the product more expensive, but also provide more options for its use. Designers, as well as marketers, need to understand exactly what attributes of a product or its values influence the decision to buy.
According to Peter Doyle’s book Value-Based Marketing, there are 4 types of values:
- Functional, related to the purpose of the product.
- Financial, involves a rational use of funds for a particular product.
- Social, or the status that gives ownership of a product.
- Psychological, what emotions the product evokes.
When working on digital products, very often the marketing team works separately from the product design team, which creates many misunderstandings both during the work itself and after the launch of the product on the market. The most successful team is one in which marketers and designers work closely together: from idea to its implementation. Therefore, the involvement of marketers in design processes is an extremely important prerequisite for creating a successful product.
Work on a product should start with reconciling the story you want to tell when it hits the market. To do this, the team conducts an audience survey. This is the only way to determine what problem you are solving and what core values your product will bring. Thanks to the close cooperation of designers and marketers, it is possible to be on the same page with the client while working on the product.
While working as a product, a team goes through three phases:
- Each project should start with the research phase. Insights are the real reasons why a person makes a decision. The most difficult thing in finding insights is to separate what lies on the surface from the real motives, which are not always clear at first glance at the user. This allows you to create a product that your target audience needs.
- The marketing campaign team usually understands the connection between product design and brand strategy. One of the determining factors in the development of a clear value proposition is reflected in the product and brand identity. So the user experience from its use will be holistic and consistent. The visual component of the brand (fonts, colors, illustrations) and its broader aspects (marketing strategy, advertising, brand history) must be reflected in the product.
- One of the main tasks of the product team is to try to transfer the user’s experience and emotions from offline to online. In digital products, words have a big impact on the user experience, and the tone of communication affects the perception of the brand.
- It is important to have an approach to assess how users interact with the product. Each stage is an opportunity to keep users running through different points of their interaction with the brand, online and offline. By analyzing users’ interactions with the product, marketers and designers can find the important insights needed to shape the brand’s message and visual support.
- Visual components of a product are just as important as textual ones. If the writing (product descriptions, marketing materials, affiliated blog posts, etc.) is not compelling, the audience will not trust your product and brand and go searching for a better offer they can trust. If writing is not something your team is great at, you can always hire a freelance writer or a writing service (consider SupremeDissertations) to compose some reactive texts for you. You can really impact customers and get their attention if you wind the right words to address them, so don’t skip this step.
- Email campaigns are an important tool for interacting with the consumer. Let’s be honest, of the hundreds of emails we receive every day, only a few are useful to us. Emails should be easy to navigate and provide the necessary information in seconds. Make sure your emails are informative as well as visually pleasing. Add custom images, personalized offers, interactive dynamic content, and users will love getting a letter from your company.
- Push notifications are one of the most powerful communication channels that provide opportunities for direct interaction with users. For marketers, notifications are a great way to get users’ attention. But it’s important to remember that non-personalized, out-of-date, and untimely notifications can ruin your entire app experience.
- It is worth paying attention to details, such as micro-interactions and animations, because they evoke positive emotions in users. Illustrations are another great way to create visual associations with your brand.
Brands that provoke our emotions and include other elements of values in their product, on average, earn more, and NPS is higher. Moreover, 95% of purchase decisions are made on a subconscious level. The main difference between a regular product and a brand is emotion. Design, like no other tool, allows you to awaken this emotion.
When your design is strong, your offer will attract more attention. You can keep that attention by providing interesting and useful content your audience will enjoy. If you need more writing help, reach out to TrustMyPaper and order quality creating writing.
Design is an element that affects the success of marketing campaigns at all stages of the funnel. Besides adding value to the product, the design also affects the price of the product and its perception by consumers. The goal of the marketing department is to make people enjoy interacting with your offer, remember it, and make a purchase. In the process of creating a product and all affiliated materials, it is important to keep your team on the same page and all working towards a common goal, putting their best efforts forward, and contributing to a stellar result you can be proud of.