An e-commerce website is a powerful marketing tool in today’s tech-driven society. Having one can open your opportunity to market products and services on many different websites. For one, you can regularly create and publish high-quality blogs talking about how your offerings can improve the lives of your target audience.
However, with many businesses using e-commerce websites today, yours must be more visually appealing. An e-commerce website with this characteristic can create a lasting and positive impression and significantly increase your web traffic. As a result, you’ll have more people visiting your website and have more chances of converting them into paying customers.
If you want to make your e-commerce site more visually appealing but don’t know how to, let the tips listed below guide you:
It’ll be challenging to make your e-commerce site visually appealing if you don’t know what’s wrong with your existing design in the first place. Thus, changing the appearance of your e-commerce website without knowing which works and which doesn’t will also cause you to waste resources.
Before you develop a new website diagram and give your e-commerce site an overhaul, spend some time scrolling through the platform first. What design elements do you like and dislike about it? Does the design help you find information fast? Did it grab your attention or encourage you to stay on the site? Chances are, your web users will have the same reactions.
After visually assessing your existing website, you can determine which design elements should be removed, improved, or retained as-is. The information you can get from the process will help you streamline your resources so you don’t eliminate design elements that work.
Colors play an essential role in your e-commerce site because these influence a person’s decision and mood. According to color psychology, different colors have different effects on people. For example, red triggers excitement and courage in web users, while blue communicates a sense of freedom and trustworthiness.
When choosing colors for your e-commerce site, think about color psychology. The colors prevalent in your e-commerce site should allow you to trigger certain emotions that will encourage web users to take action online.
Listed below are some uses of colors on web design:
- Red: Red communicates a sense of urgency. If you want to promote a clearance sale on your e-commerce site, incorporate ads or graphics in red. This color will draw the attention of web users and instill fear of missing out.
- Blue: Looking for ways to make your e-commerce look more dependable and trustworthy in the eyes of web users? Add design elements in blue. This color conveys a high level of trust and is ideal for the banking, cybersecurity, and insurance sectors.
- White: If your business operates in the healthcare industry, using white in your e-commerce site is a great option. This color represents cleanliness, hygiene, and traditional values.
- Black: Black has earned its reputation for being a color that represents glamour, elegance, and sleekness. Black is often associated with power, so it’s commonly used to advertise luxury products and services.
- Yellow: You can use yellow in your e-commerce site to cheer up web users. Using yellow in your e-commerce site will make your brand feel friendly, welcoming, and more approachable.
- Green: Green has been and will always be associated with the environment. It’s common for web users to think about outdoor activities, overall wellness, and healthy foods when they see green. You can use this color on your e-commerce site to put web users at ease, as green is known to be relaxing and easy on the eyes.
- Orange: Orange creates a sense of warmth and cheerful welcoming. This color works well when used as an accent in different design elements present in your e-commerce site, namely your CTA or call-to-action buttons and ads.
As mentioned, you can use your e-commerce site to share valuable content to market your products and services. However, solely relying on written content will prevent you from achieving that goal. Large chunks of texts can seem too overwhelming to web users and can adversely affect the aesthetics of your e-commerce site.
Ensure that your e-commerce site remains appealing and functional by maximizing the power of multimedia. Adding images, graphs, and videos is a great way to make your content more engaging and your site more aesthetically pleasing. These can also help you explain complex topics to web users without overwhelming them.
When adding multimedia to your e-commerce site, don’t forget to follow these tips:
- Don’t overdo it: Going overboard with images, graphs, and videos on your e-commerce site will do more harm than good. Multimedia can adversely affect the loading speed of your site, and adding too many can drastically slow it down. If your e-commerce site loads longer than three seconds, web users will quickly abandon your site.
- Don’t trick users: The main goal of your e-commerce site is to convert web users into paying customers—and you’ll never achieve this goal if you use multimedia to track web users. For example, you should never use a ‘Play’ button to take web users to an ad. Aside from creating a frustrating experience, this may also negatively impact your brand, triggering users to patronize your competitors.
- Refrain from using Adobe Flash: Adobe Flash is an essential tool for web development and often creates interactive and visually appealing websites. Although beneficial, you should refrain from using it on your e-commerce site as this often causes browsers to malfunction and crash. All of your efforts to create a visually appealing e-commerce site will be useless when this happens.
It’s easy to neglect consistency with the many design elements you can add to your e-commerce site. You’ll likely be too overwhelmed using various color schemes and multimedia in your website that you’d fail to be consistent.
Being consistent is crucial in creating an aesthetically pleasing e-commerce site. For example, you should use the same color scheme and logo design on all of your web pages.
Using different design elements in various web pages can cause stress to web users as they’ll likely have to relearn how to navigate the site whenever they visit another page.
Most importantly, a consistent web design is advantageous to your branding. Using one color scheme and logo and placing them on the same location in your web pages will make it easier for web users to remember your brand. Brand recall is necessary for marketing as it improves your chances of being associated with a particular product or service.
When it comes to web design, less is always more. Yes, you can upgrade your e-commerce site and add as many design elements as possible, but keep in mind that these will only make it challenging for web users to navigate your platform. What good is your e-commerce site if it doesn’t serve your target audience or make their lives easier?
To create a visually appealing e-commerce site, aim to reduce clutter. This means you should only include design elements that are highly necessary to improve the experience of web users. For example, if adding one image is enough to drive your point across, refrain from adding two or three more to the web page. Too many pictures can make a site look too busy.
Aside from removing unnecessary design elements, the following tips can help you reduce clutter on your e-commerce site:
- Focus on content: Content is king in the digital market, so make sure that content is highlighted correctly on your e-commerce site. When it comes to written content, such as articles and blogs, ensure that these are short and use simple words. The theme of your site should also complement your content and accentuate them.
- Maximize white space: In web design, white space is between texts, images, graphics, and blocks. If you want to create a clutter-free e-commerce site, maximize white space and refrain from filling it with too many widgets and tabs. The more you use white space in your website, the cleaner the platform looks.
- Pick the right theme: Make sure to stick to a suitable color theme for your e-commerce site. Use this color throughout your web pages once you’ve picked the right palette based on your branding and color psychology. If you want to highlight specific areas on your web page, say the categories of your products, use a darker shade of the same color. Your e-commerce site should contain no more than two base colors; too many colors can make your site look unfocused, childish, and disorganized.
Web design typography talks about adjusting texts to align with the overall design and creating compelling content. The text on your e-commerce site is essential because it affects the appearance of the platform and the overall user experience.
You can make your e-commerce site look more visually appealing by improving its typography. Your e-commerce site will significantly look better and leave a lasting impression among web users by using the right font style, size, and color. These can help you convert more users into buying customers, eventually translating into more profits.
Here’s how you can improve your site’s typography:
- Keep the number of fonts used at a minimum: Like the use of colors, refrain from using too many font styles on your e-commerce site. Using three or more fonts will make your site look unprofessional and might even wreck your entire layout. If possible, use one font throughout your website. If you need to use more than one, make sure that the font belongs to the same family. For example, you can use Georgia with Verdana as the two share the same characteristics.
- Avoid all uppercase text: Never use all uppercase text in your e-commerce site regardless of your message’s importance. Using all uppercase slows down your users’ scanning speed and adversely affects the readability of your content. Uppercase text may also make users feel like you’re screaming at them.
- Avoid using colored text: Colored text can be tempting, especially when emphasizing a particular word or phrase. However, color blindness is a common condition worldwide. Using colored texts on your site will make it challenging for others to read and understand your content.
CTA or call-to-action buttons function as signposts on your e-commerce site. These guide web users on what to do once they visit your website. For example, if you want them to send their information through your website, you can use CTA buttons to guide them throughout the process—what to click on your home page and where to submit their information.
It’s essential to design your CTA buttons properly to ensure that they trigger action from your users. Your CTA buttons will lose their purpose if it looks similar to the rest of the design elements present on your site.
One of the most important rules to adhere to when designing CTA buttons is to ensure that it comes in a contrasting color to the rest of your web pages. For example, if your web pages use yellow, your CTA buttons should be violet. If red is the most prevalent color on your web page, opt for green CTA buttons.
Using contrasting colors will ensure a visual hierarchy in your e-commerce site and that web users can easily see where your CTA buttons are.
Use A Visually Appealing E-commerce Site To Your Advantage
As the business landscape continues to be more competitive, having an e-commerce website is no longer enough to drive in more customers and profits. You also need to make sure that your website is visually appealing to attain long-term success in the industry.
Upgrade your e-commerce site today by implementing all of the tips presented in this article. It is also convenient to use any top eCommerce website builders as they offer and makes it easier to achieve a visually impressive website. Don’t forget to regularly audit your efforts and make changes whenever necessary as the needs and demands of your target audience change over time.